Search here

Health Service

The University Health Service is organized to help the students of the University to lead an active life free from disease. All registered students are entitled to free consultations, free basic medicinal drugs and laboratory service. The Health Service is set up mainly for students, but staff both academic and non-academic can make use of the service.

Adequate treatment and care even of mild ailments could prevent the occurrence of serious disease, minimize the rate of absenteeism from classes and control the spread of infection to others.

Dental Service

Dental care is provided by a dental surgeon. Both preventive and curative services are available.

Simple laboratory examinations are done at the university Health Services laboratory. While more specialized laboratory examinations are referred to North Colombo Teaching Hospital, Ragama or Medical Research Institute, Borella and to private laboratories. Chest X ray examinations are done at the Chest Hospital, Welisara.

All employees to the University service are required to undergo a medical examination which in conducted by the University Medical Officer prior to confirmation of their appointments.

Pharmacy Service

Students who need special medical treatment are usually referred to consultants of the North Colombo Teaching hospital. While those need highly specialized consultations and treatment are referred to National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo. Students who are too ill to be treated as outpatients are admitted to North Colombo Teaching Hospital, Ragama to receive expert medical and nursing attention. Emergency injuries including sport injuries are referred to accident service of the National Hospital of Sri Lanka.

Preventive measures to safeguard the health of the university community are carried out by the university public health inspector under the direction of the university Chief Medical Officer. The activities of the preventive service consist

  1. General sanitation
  2. Food sanitation – Including regular infection of cafeteria and food handling establishments.
  3. Health Education
  4. Statistics
  5. Epidemiology

Notification of communicable diseases to the appropriate authorities are done through the university Chief Medical Officer.

Students who fall ill during examinations are advised to inform University Medical Officer during such illness. This intimation is imperative even if they are treated by another doctor. All Medical Certificates other than those from Government Medical Institutions have to be forwarded to the University Chief Medical Officer for certification.